Labor Crew - Job Description
Department: XL Ranch and Natural Resources
Position: Pit River Tribe Labor Crew Member (Includes Crew Leaders, Project Coordinators, and/or XL Ranch Foreman)
Supervisor: Natural Resources Manager/XL Ranch Manager
Pay Range: $11.00-$15.00/hour
Term: Seasonal, Full-time
The Pit River Tribe Job Description is a management tool to help organize duties and provide employees with the employer’s expectations with regard to the specific job classification. The duties listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements does not exclude them from the position if the work is a reasonable assignment for the position.
It is preferred that the XL Ranch Crew Members have a background in the various fields they will be employed in, such as: irrigation, fence repair and construction, livestock handling, ditch and diversion maintenance, sawyering, brushing, general construction and labor, and should have experience with the various power and hand tools as required by the work to which they are assigned. Knowledge of safe practices and safety procedures in the use of equipment execution of work is highly desirable. A valid California driver’s license is recommended, since Crew Members will potentially be driving a truck or equipment, and will be driving between different areas of XL Ranch and Goose Lake Tribal Lands or Lauer Reservoir, and Tribal Lands within the hundred miles square Tribal Ancestral Territory.
Labor Crew Members may be hired for a variety of different tasks and types of jobs, including but not limited to irrigation, fence construction, maintenance and repair, juniper removal or fuel break construction, or general labor and construction. The Crew Members will be required to work on jobs and with equipment and materials that may be dangerous, but generally safe when the appropriate caution is taken. Crew members will be required to observe all safety procedures, and follow safe practices it all times. Under the direction of the XL Ranch Crew Foreman and/or the XL Ranch Manager, Natural Resources Manager, and/or Natural Resources Assistant, crew members will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Use and maintenance of equipment and tools for each specific task or project;
- Use of proper procedures, particularly safety procedures, in the execution of work;
- Use of prescribed techniques and conservation practices in sawyering and brushing, fence construction and repair, ditch and diversion maintenance, livestock handling, livestock procedures, general labor, general ranch work, and other tasks as explained and required;
- Identifying, repairing, and/or removing any obstructions or hazards;
- Performing routine ranch maintenance tasks;
- May be assigned other duties as required;
- Crew Members may be required to work on several different pieces of Tribal Land and with other Tribal Members and Staff to perform specific tasks, implement funded projects, and assist in the conservation of the natural and cultural resources of the XL Ranch and other Tribal Lands;
- In order for the Pit River Tribe to have a successful program, Crew Members will have to work and share equipment and knowledge with new crew members, and/or crew members from other departments or programs, and take direction on different projects from designated Tribal Staff . XL Ranch Crew Members must be willing to work together for the benefit of the Pit River Tribe;
- Must pass a pre-employment drug test;
Rate of Pay
The pay range for this position is $ 11.00 to $ 15.00 per hour, depending on level of responsibility, job/project description, experience, and skill level. Crew members who can provide their own equipment will be paid at a dollar more per hour on certain jobs/projects with approval and written agreement.
- First time Crew Members - $ 11.00/hr.
- Returning Crew Members - $ 12.00/hr.
- Crew Leaders - $ 13.00/hr.
- XL Ranch Foreman/Forewoman - $ 15.00/hr.
Preference given to qualified Native American and Alaska Native candidates under the Federal Indian Preference Act (43CFR,17.3(d)).
You can pick up an application by contacting the Pit River Tribe’s Administrative Offices at 36970 Park Avenue, Burney, CA 96013, or by calling 530-335-5421 and asking the receptionist for an application form.
Applications should be submitted to: Charles White
Pit River Tribe
36970 Park Avenue
Burney, California 96013
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled. Apply immediately please.